Saturday, January 28, 2012

Feeling tangy tonight?



I'm sure this won't shock anyone, but I really like to experiment with food. A few years ago this was a really frightening thing, because I knew nothing about the spices in my cupboard, or main ingredients for that matter, so some of my experiments weren't even suitable for pets. Now, however, I know a teensy bit more about my herbs and my experiments only suck sometimes. This weeks didn't, so I think I'll share it. Teriyaki Meatballs with soy and ginger asparagus.

The meatballs were easy, just your typical meat, egg, crumbs and seasonings type of thing but I added some fresh grated ginger to them and it gave them some serious flair. Also I prefer to grate my onions for this so there are no hunks of onion to bite into unexpectedly. Then I made a simple teriyaki sauce while they were baking and realized I'd have to double it for my family which is when I realized I was out of pineapple juice so substituted OJ for the second batch of sauce and it was super tasty (thank goodness, that totally could have gone either way). The asparagus was much saltier than I'd imagined, so I'd change that a bit next time, but see what you think and truly, I welcome your comments!

Meatballs:
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
1 clove fresh garlic
grated onion
mix together then add:
parmesan cheese and bread crumbs til the consistency seems right ;-)
brown them or bake them at 350 for 15 min.

Teriyaki sauce:
1 15 oz. can pineapple tidbits in juice
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white vinegar
2T. cornstarch
2T. soy or teriyaki sauce (I used Soy Vay's Very Very Teriyaki)

drain pineapple, reserving juice. In small saucepan combine juice, sugar, vinegar, cornstarch and soy or teriyaki sauce. Bring to a boil- cook til thickened (about a minute) stirring constantly.

When meatballs are cooked add them to the sauce and serve with rice and veggies

Ginger Asparagus:
Asparagus
1/2 C. or so of Soy Sauce (I used Braggs Liquid Aminos which was SALTY!)
1/4 c. Brown sugar
Ginger (powdered or grated fresh)
1-2 T. butter

Combine and bake for about 15 mins at 350. Sorry this is so approximate. Next time I think I'd add less soy sauce and more sugar and more ginger for sure. Butter was about right. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment