Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Asian Chicken Salad with Soy Peanut dressing

I get a produce box each week from a local dairy farm. Every time there is at least one item at which I frown and think, "Great. What am I going to do with that?" Which, actually I think is the point of the variety. Because then every week I get to learn and experiment. I concoct, or find that someone else has concocted a delicious something or other involving that very thing. It is then posted it online for all the experimenters out there to enjoy. It's been parsnips, rutabaga, radishes, and weird peppers I still can't name. I feel like I'm being educated by a produce box. This week it was cabbage. Along with the cabbage came red peppers and the bells started a ringing. There's nothing like a fresh and flavorful Asian style salad, right? Lucky for me, I found a base recipe for a dressing, which I then promptly changed to fit my whims. I was in a peanut kind of mood, so here is how it went:

1 head of Napa cabbage, shredded
1 head of romaine lettuce, shredded
Some Bak choy leaves, shredded
2 carrots, sliced or shredded
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/8-1/4 cup chives, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 cups shredded chicken (I boil mine in ginger and onion, then shred it.)
Sliced lime and chopped peanuts for garnish

Soy Peanut Dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons (heaping) peanut butter (use creamy unless you have a blender)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (dried will work in a pinch, or if you don't like the "kick")
1 clove minced garlic
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon agave nectar (1 T. honey will work also)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 cup canola or other vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

whisk or blend the vinegar, peanut butter, ginger, soy sauce, agave, and oils, season with salt and pepper or additional soy sauce to taste. Add the dressing to the salad and toss. Garnish with lime slices and chopped peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment